Monday, September 7, 2009

Barbara Kruger

Ms. Kruger showed us into her studio, and asked us to sit down. She sat in a place round the table which was in shadow. I could see a spot a few feet from where we sat where the light was good. I asked her if we could do the picture there but she wouldn't budge. I explained that her face was in shadow. "That's alright," she said. I tried to explain that really it wasn't alright, and that the light was very good in the spot that I had pointed out. I would then take three frames and be gone. No, she would not stand there. I then asked Cathy, my daughter, to stand there and said, "Please look, doesn't she look good?" "Yes, she does." I took my three frames and we departed.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! It's reassuring to know that the woman is a tough as her Art. Which, let's face it, no one would describe as "sunny".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just ADORE your portraits of women artists, Dmitri. When Caroline said you'd photographed Kiki Smith, I nearly died. I'm such a fan of her work. I'd love to see that one!

    ReplyDelete